New York Name Change Assistance

How do I change my name in New York?

HELLO My name is...

If you need to change your name at your job or school, on your Social Security card, driver license, passport or green card, you will need a court-ordered name change.

If you live in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens or Staten Island, you can file in New York City's Civil Court. If you live in Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester or any other county, you will file in Supreme Court.

In New York, name changes have to be published in the newspaper. It's a classified ad that contains your old name, new name, place of birth, date of birth and home address. If you feel that such publication would threaten your safety, you can ask the judge to waive publication and seal the record of your name change.

You will need a copy of your birth certificate, so order a copy of your birth certificate if you do not have one.

How do I get an attorney for my name change?

We help transgender adults and children get legal name changes throughout New York City and State. To get started, please fill out one of our intake forms:

The attorney fee for representation in a name change is income-based.

Please note: We do not offer any free name change assistance in NYC. If you are low-income and require free assistance, please contact one of the many organizations providing free legal name change representation in NYC.

How do I update the name and gender on my ID documents?

We have a complete set of post name change instructions detailing the steps necessary to update your identity documents following your name change. To update your gender marker on your birth certificate, driver license, passport, Social Security or immigration documents, you will need to get a letter from your doctor. If you work on getting your doctor's letter now, you will have it by the time you obtain your name change order and can change both at the same time.

Contact us

The use of this form to contact Transcend Legal or its attorneys does not establish an attorney-client relationship, and no such email or communication will be treated as confidential. However, we will not publicize your information. Read our Privacy Policy to learn more.